Symptoms can include:
- A sore or ulcer that does not heal and/or bleeds easily.
- A blood blister that does not heal
- White or red patches anywhere in the mouth (leukoplakia and erythroplakia).
- A thick or hard lump on the lip, tongue or in the mouth or throat, what may or may not be painful.
- Unusual bleeding or numbness anywhere in the mouth.
- Pain when chewing or swallowing.
- A feeling that something is caught in the throat.
At Medway Smile Clinic your Oral health is our priority, and as part of our comprehensive and regular examinations we perform oral cancer screening. Throughout your ongoing care, any soft tissue changes are reviewed on a regular basis.
A Detailed examination of the outside of your mouth, head and neck by observation and palpation. A thorough internal examination of your mouth, including the inside of your cheeks and under your tongue. Any inconclusive findings will be referred to the Hospital.
- Early detection of Oral Cancer gives you a 90% chance of survival.
- The early stages of Oral Cancer can look similar to a mouth ulcer.
- Over 25% of Oral Cancer sufferers are non-smokers.
What is oral cancer?
Oral cancer is also called mouth cancer. It is a cancer that can develop in any part of the mouth, including the tongue, gums, cheeks, palate (roof of the mouth), under the tongue, lips, sinuses and pharynx (throat).
What causes oral cancer?
The exact reason why a cell becomes cancerous is still unknown. It is thought that something alters or damages certain genes in the cell, causing it to become abnormal and start multiplying.
- Smoking. There is a much higher incidence of oral cancer in smokers than in non-smokers.
- Excessive or frequent consumption of alcohol.
- Chewing tobacco.
- The Human Papillomavirus (HPV), which is a sexually transmitted infection.
- Extended sun exposure to the area around your mouth, including your lips, without the use of a broad spectrum Sun Protection Factor (SPF) sunscreen.
Have been with this dental practice for many years and i am always happy with the treatment i receive. I am a nervous patient but everyone there takes time to explain what is happening and I finally have a dentist i can trust. Definitely recommend to family and friends.
Fantastic service! I took my autistic son to them today they couldnt of been more caring , made us both feel very welcome and calm. It was the first time my son ever had an x-ray. The lady spoke calmly to him all through it and the dentist was also a lovely lady. My son came out of there full of smiles telling me they are really nice. He wants to keep going here which makes me as his mum happy.I totally trust this dentist they are the best dentist we have been to 🙂
I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Saldkhar for repair to a chipped tooth. Both Dr. Saldkhar and her dental assistant were extremely professional and thorough in their work. I am extremely happy with the final result. All staff at the practice are extremely knowledgeable and friendly in their respective roles. I am more than happy to provide referrals in future should anyone require a holistic dental practitioners.